Monterey Pop Festival
Monterey County Fairgrounds, 2004 Fairground Rd., Monterey, CA.
The Monterey International Pop Music Festival was a three day concert held June 16 to June 18, 1967 at the Monterey Fairgrounds in Monterey, California. Taking place at the beginning of the “Summer Of Love,” the festival featured Janis Joplin, Simon & Garfunkel, Jefferson Airplane, The Who, Buffalo Springfield, the Grateful Dead and The Mamas and the Papas. However it is probably best known as the festival where Jimi Hendrix ended his performance by kneeling over his guitar, pouring lighter fluid over it, setting it on fire and then smashing it on the stage.
The fairgrounds and grandstands are still standing today.
- Like A Rolling Stone – Jimi Hendrix
- For What It’s Worth – Buffalo Springfield
- Somebody To Love – Jefferson Airplane
- Summertime Blues – The Who
- California Dreamin’ – The Mamas & The Papas